High fever, extreme lethargy, vomiting with blood streaks, redness over joints. What could be wrong?

I have a dear friend at the local regional hospital with a 3 year old son. He has been there for 4 or 5 days on an IV. He has run a fever close to 104 all week, is extremely lathargic (probably mostly due to the high fever), was throwing up (and the last time there was a little blood in it). He has deep redness around several of his joints. She was told at one point perhaps it was scarlet fever , the next day it was just a virus . He hasn t eaten in 7 days. They have not yet given him any anti-biotics, because they cannot figure out what is wrong with him. One on-call doctor wanted to send him home. Really? Your thoughts?
Asked On : Wed, 23 Jan 2013