Heart murmur, pain, heavy heart beats, difficulty breathing, recurring condition. Cause of worry?

Hi, I m 18 years old and a vegetarian female. Over the past two or three years I ve had what I think is a heart murmur , I may have had it before but I ve only just noticed it. My mom also has one. Sometimes it hurts and causes me to stop mid breath and it feels like my heart is about to pound out of my chest . It s only tuesday and I ve had it happen about 4 or 5 times since yesterday, a lot more than usual. Should I be worried?
Asked On : Sat, 3 Nov 2012
Thanks for writing your query to us.

Its good that you have noticed that you have a heart murmur. The symptoms which you had mentioned can be due to heart murmur.
I would advise you to get a 2D echocardiography. It is non invasive test just like a sonography in which we are able to visualise the heart structures. Murmurs are the sound produced by the turbulent flow of blood through the heart valves. Heart murmurs can be due to structural heart disease like leakage or tightening of the valves of the heart. Based on the 2D echo report we can assess the severity of your heart problem.
No need to get worried, such symptoms can be controlled with the help of medicines after knowing the exact cause for a heart murmur.
Wish you good health.
General & Family Physician Dr. Sourav Chakraborty's  Response
Hello arachnidsyo,

greetings from

I am Dr Sourav Chakraborty and i will be helping you with your query.

First of all do not panic and think sensibly , worrying will make you more tense .

You are only 18 years of age and the syptoms you have mentioned though very limited is significant. You have not revealed your mom's details which is important for your case. Does she have murmur since childhood or got it lately due to particular cardiac ailments. Different type of cardiac ailments can give rise to murmurs but their pathology is different. Also the origin of murmur is also different.

Mitral valve prolapse can give to mitral regurgitation / murmur and if asymtomatic is serially monitored cautiously , but mitral regurgitation due to myocardial infarction and Rheumatic heart disease needs promt care and management.

Going by your age and without further details from your side i would consider structural heart defects atrial septal defect or heart rythm abnormailty as a differential diagnosis in your case. Please do get a baseline ECG and a Echocardiogram with doppler study done at tge earliest for if you have murmur , other abnormality it can be easily evaluated.

Also we need to rule out other co morbid lung conditions if any and hypertension which can present with sypmtoms similar to your case.

I firmly believe you need to visit your doctor at the earliest, hope i have been lucid in my approach . Take care.