Hears sound of rubber band snapping in mind, no pain, happens when about to sleep. Reason?

I am a 53 year old woman, 155 lbs, 5 9 . I had a stroke about 8 mos ago. When I go to bed at night I often hear what I can best describe as the sound of a rubber band snapping. It is definitely in my head. No pain is associated with it. It will wake me up. I am almost always just about asleep, or maybe even asleep when it happens. This happened prior to my stroke as well.
Asked On : Sat, 17 Nov 2012
Psychologist 's  Response
Dec 2015
Welcome to HCM
We understand your concerns

I went through your problem desription. You re hearing a snap sound from your head almost everyday while retiring for sleep. Medically there may not be any satisfactory explanation for this. You must have seen such scenes in several psychological thrillers or films which deals with a person who has psychological prooblems.

My explanation for this problem goes like this - When you had stroke 8 months ago, you experienced snapping sound due to some internal medical condition. Remember stroke is associated mainly with brain. That episode etched the mark of the snap in your mind which you hear over and over at certain times. This happens due to minds fear and defence mechanism. You re successfully ignoring it and going to sleep. That is why this delusion is not becoming problamatic. Very good going.

I advice to first consult a neurologist and confirm there is nothing wrong and continue ignoring the snapping sound and it should disappear.

I hope I clarified your doubts. Available for further queries.
Good luck.