Hearing lost, numbness in outer ear, no pain. No ear wax came while removing. Cause?

Yesterday morning I had a slight muffled ear sensation as if I had a cold and my ear was affected. I don't have a cold and am not sick in any other manner.
In a matter of about 6 hours my hearing was totally diminished to almost nothing. I cannot hear anything out of my ear if I plug the other ear and listen. I also have the weird sensation of numbness surrounding my outer ear.
I do not have pain, I have tried earwax removal oil stuff and flushed with a bulb and do not get any ear wax.
Can compacted earwax be the cause of this weird dilemma or is it possible I have something else going on?
It is scary to think I have lost my hearing in one ear in such a short time.
Asked On : Thu, 17 Oct 2013