Head pounding in freshly painted house, feels weak, cold sweats, starts vomiting

I went into a freshly painted house. Within 5 minutes my head was pounding, I started feeling weak & a few hours later started vomiting w/ cold sweats. How should I treat?
Asked On : Sun, 25 Mar 2012
Anesthesiologist 's  Response
Thanks for writing in.

A new preservative methylisothiazolinone (MI) or any volatile organic compounds can cause allergies to paints. All paints produce vapors which trigger an allergic reaction in many people. Coughing, runny nose, sore throat and congestion are standard reactions to paint fumes; sufferers may also experience itchy and watery eyes.

The first thing you must do is go out and stay in fresh air for a while. Inform your close friends of any breathing difficulties. Then please seek medical help and confirm that you are not having any serious reactions.

Hope this helps