Head injury, cuts. Swollen forehead, fluid accumulation. Normal?

Approximately 72 hours ago, I fell of of my bicycle and landed on my head. There was a deep split along with some grazes and small cuts just above my temple. I went to A&E and my head was glued and I was told rest for the next few days. about a day after my forehead swelled up and had fluid in. I understand this is relatively normal foran injury like this. It went down a lot the next day. About 4 hours ago the side of my face (beside my eye and under my temple) has swollen worse than my forehead did. I didn't knock my head in this area and was wondering if this is normal? should I get checked out again?

Thank you for your time.

Asked On : Wed, 24 Apr 2013
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013
Hi Chris,

Thank you for sharing your medical details and posting your query.

What you have described is fairly normal in this situation, and there is no need to worry or go for another check up.

The fluid, and thus the swelling, does increase around the eye, temple and face; as these areas are dependent and also the tissue is quite loose. The swelling would subside on its own in a few days.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)

Senior Consultant Neurologist

Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,

My personal URL on this website:

My email: