Having severe itchy skin. No rashes, irritation or not under stress. What could be the cause?

Hello. I am suffering from severe itchy skin. It usually appears in a single localised area (forearms or legs or back most often). If I can resist scratching , it will go away within about 15 minutes and there is no other symptom. There is no obvious rash or irritation and it can happen with or without clothes. I went for a few months without it happening, now it s two or three times a day. I am not under stress and am not aware of any other illness . Any ideas?
Asked On : Mon, 16 Apr 2012