Having severe cough a swelling in the left side of the groin. Advised surgery and wearing Truss. Alternate cure?

I am 43 year old male weighing 65kg. Non smoker. I do have a tummy but isn't obviously obese.

For the last three days I have been coughing badly and i noticed a slight bulge on the left region of my groin. I visited a general physician this morning and he advices elective surgery within a month. He advised that I wear a truss to provide some abdominal support.

My question to you is the following:

1) is surgery the only solution.
2) Can the herinia agrevate and move further into the scrotum.
3) Can excercise reduce the herinia and push the abdominal contents back to their oiginal position.
Asked On : Tue, 9 Apr 2013