Having pain under ribs at nights, night sweats, difficult to sleep. Kidney tested clear. Any clues?

Hi there. Ive been experiencing pain on my left side in/under my ribs for 18 months. It comes on every night after lying down. By 3 am I have to sleep sitting almost completely upright. It is impossible to lie down at this point without moderate to severe pain. I occasionally have night sweats and sometimes have to change clothes several times during the night. I dont experience pain during the day and am otherwise fit and highly active. I havent had any significant trauma to the area and my main sport is running (which actually can reduce the pain) so nothing high impact. Ive tollerated it for a long time with little response from my GP who has run kidney tests but they came back clear. Any clues? With thanks
Asked On : Wed, 4 Jul 2012