Having pain in ear, green discharge from ear. What is wrong with the ear?

I woke up with a very harsh pain in my ear. I put ear drops in it hoping for the pain to go down, it didnt. about 6 hours later I go to lay down for a nap and I can hear something going on in my ear and I feel liquid coming out. Figuring it was just draining out the water i go back to bed. When I woke up there was a little wet spot on the pillow from my ear. When I went to wipe off my ear I look at the tissue paper and there s little green booger like things on it. What is wrong with my ear?
Asked On : Mon, 4 Jun 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Hi, pain and ear discharge can be because of infection in the external auditory canal or middle ear. Ear drops will only help in some cases with infection in the external auditory canal. But external infection also causes pain on touching the external ear. Middle ear infection does not respond to ear drops and nasal and oral decongestants along with antibiotics help. So, you please use nasal decongestant drops and oral decongestants. If there is a middle ear infection and you have an ear discharge, you need to see an ENT as there may be a perforation of ear drum. Reagrds