Having difficulty breathing, feels like windpipe has collapsed, non functional gag reflex. Treatment?

Several times in the past three months I have been waken by lack of air. It feels like my wind pipe has colapsed. I gasp for small amounts of air, until the pipe finally opens. It is awful. Additionally, sometimes when I eat it is like my gaging reflex is not working and food feels like it is going down the wrong pipe. I cough until it is better. Also after I eat I must keep clearing my pipes. My husband says cough it up will you but it is difficult.
Asked On : Fri, 22 Mar 2013