Having black spots on tongue

Hi, I have small dark patches on my tongue, one on each side towards the front of my tongue. Do you know what this could be
Asked On : Tue, 22 Feb 2011
Dentist 's  Response
Black discoloration on the tongue or mucosa of the oral cavity is due to various reasons. Smoking causes a condition known as smokers melanosis. In some people due to excess of melanin pigmentation it occurs and also due to intake of antibiotics. Pl do quit smoking which is deleterious to general and oral health.
  Anonymous's Response
hi i have have black dots on my tongue what does it mean? my friends think i have tongue disease!
Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Dr. Manish Gupta's  Response

As you have said that you do smoke so these patches can be either due to nicotin pigmentation or can be excessive melanin pigmentation of the cells as we see on our body surface(moles). Are they present from the time of your birth? Are they growing in size? Keep observing and keep a note of the size of the patches. If they are growing slowly or rapidly it is a cause of concern. Try to quit smoking and follow a healthy lifestyle.

take care
Dentist Dr. E. Bharathikannan's  Response
i think it could be smokers melanosis since you mentioned having the habit of smoking. please try to stop the habit of smoking and consult a dentist soon. take care
  Anonymous's Response
hi im 11 years old and i have black spots on my tongue it dosent hurt or bleed im very worried what could this be :(
Dentist Dr. Srividya Rao Vasista's  Response
Hi there,
How old are you & how long have these patches been on your tongue? what colour are they?
Also please mention if you:
a) Smoke
b) Chew Tobacco/Paanparag etc
c) have pain in that area
d) does it bleed