Having SLE disease. Blood count increasing but RBC level stable. Platelets, WBC nil. Suggestions?

Hi My wife is having SLE deaseas doctors has given her all types of medicine...from last one month she is going through this treament.. doctors has tested her daily basis imunoglulin has given five dose.. once plasma frasis has been done and now her blood level is increasing very slow...before 10 days it was 4.8 and next day was 5.8 than after four five days it came to 6.7 now she is having 7.7 ..her RBC is 2.54 it is not increasing is stable from last one week ..its same.2.54..her platelets are 0000 and wbc is 0000...she is having medicine defcort...
Asked On : Thu, 14 Feb 2013
Dear Rahim001,
I can understand your concern.
SLE is an autoimmune disease in which one's own antibodies react against one's body, affecting many body organs, including the bone marrow. This may cause several blood cell types to be depleted, and it explains the "nil" WBC and platelets. Having said that, it's curious that the RBCs are relatively spared this severe depletion. A bone marrow test is indicated, to determine the extent of bone marrow affectation.

Unfortunately, transfusion of blood does not usually help, as the new blood cells are usually destroyed. This is why most experts would rather try to "mop-up" the abnormal antibodies, using plasmapheresis, steroids, and other immunosuppressive (agents that act against the immune system) drugs. From what you have said, it appears things are being done to keep the disease in check. Some patients with severe disease may benefit from Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT).

If you want to consider a second opinion, I would suggest you seek out an Hematologist, Clinical Immunologist or HSCT Physician.

I wish your wife quick recovery.