Have swollen tonsils. Have been prescribed penicillin and ibuprofen but no use. What could it be?

Hi! So my left tonsil is swollen and it has dark purple color to it, Almost black and it is hard. Went to the E.R and got prescribed penicillin & ibuprofen. But I feel like it's gotten bigger and now with some white right tonsil too but it's not as big or as bad. My left one is huge. I also get strep throat twice a year, every year. Never got it like this. Was hoping to find out what it is/what I can do to help. Thank you
Asked On : Wed, 17 Apr 2013