Have stress related headache and depression. Have diabetes. On Topamax. Suggestion?

Hi! My boyfriend has been having stress related headaches for about a month now. He has ZERO previous history of migraines or headaches. His age is 39. He is also Type I diabetic. His job is very high stress, and he took a medical leave of absence due to depression and a constant negative internal dialogue about his job. The headaches started a month or so ago. He s been on leave of absence for 1.5 weeks. His blood and lab tests (this week) came up normal with the exception that his diabetic numbers are much, much worse than six months ago. His doctor prescribed him 25 mg Topamax for his headaches. I am uncomfortable with this medication, as I know Topamax can have significant side effects...including depression and mood swings. I think he should focus on eating better, controlling his diabetes , reducing stress, exercise, and drinking more water. What do you think?
Asked On : Sat, 16 Feb 2013