Have severe toothache. Taking amoclan forte, dolgit. Took X-ray. Suggested for root canal. Should it be done now?

I had a severe toothache about seven days ago. It was around the upper left molar teeth.

I have had sensitive teeth for a long time, but the impact would be only for a few seconds. And that too my teeth have been sensitive to only cold things, not hot. But now, the pain would become more severe even if drank something hot.

I tried home remedy initially. I applied clove oil, but that did not help. And then I took a dose of Panadol (Paracetamol 500mg x 2 tablets), but that wasn't of much help too. The ache lasted for several hours. I couldn't sleep at all that night. The next morning I went and saw a dentist.

He did cleaning and scaling. He had to local anaesthesia when working on the left side, due to the existing pain. He took an x-ray. He said the pain was caused by inflammation of gums which was due to infection in the pulp. He said two teeth were affected. He has indicated that I would need to do root canal treatment for both the affected teeth.

He prescribed an antibiotic and a painkiller: Amoclan Forte 625mg (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic Acid - 1 tablet twice daily for 5 days; Dolgit 400 (Ibuprofen 400mg) - 1 tablet twice daily for 5 days, if I the pain exists). He asked me to come bad for the next visit after completing the course for five days.

I have completed the five days of medication. My next visit to the dentist is due today.

My questions are:

(1) Do I really need root canal treatment? How can I be sure? Are there any alternative treatments?

(2) I have been told that I will need to come for two visits. Does root canal treatment take multiple visits? Can it be done in one visit? What all steps does it involve?

(3) Is it possible that commercial reasons may have prompted the dentist to recommend root canal treatment instead of an alternative treatment that may cost much less?

(4) I was told that if I delayed the root canal treatment, the infection would get worse. Is that right? I live in the UAE, and I would be on a visit to India two months later. Medical costs are much lower in India than in the UAE. Would it be okay if I postponed the root canal treatment, so that I can do it in India.

(5) How much of an emergency is root canal treatment? Does it need immediate attention? After this course of medication that I have already been through, in case the pain does not occur again, then will it be okay if I saw a dentist in India and then take action as required - whether a root canal treatment or any other treatment?

Look forward to your response. Many thanks.

Arun Joshi

Asked On : Wed, 24 Apr 2013