Have severe pain in foot. Took ibuprofen and a heat patch. What to do?

I woke up the other day like any other day crashed while doing home work got up and I had this sudden pain in my foot like I dropped something heavy on it. It kinda feel like my bone is cracked or something. I walked it off like nothing but the more I walked the more pain it caused for my foot (the left one). It feels strained to flex it up (like moving your toe up) and when I walk it feels worse. What could this be should I just leave it alone? I did take ibuprofen (didn't help) and put a heat patch.
Asked On : Tue, 23 Apr 2013
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist 's  Response
Keep your foot immersed in ice cold water 10-15 minutes, 2-3 times/day. Also, while flexing your foot up, is there a stretch u get in your lower calf in the end range of the movement or a strain throughout the movement? Does performing calf raises on that leg hurt? If there is even mild swelling, stop the heat patch and go ahead with ice.