Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Have schizophrenia and OCD. Feeling others are staring. Need medication

I have schizophrenia and ocd . I have been on every single med and none of them work. i am very paranoid especially at night. i feel very scared and alone. i always feel like everyone is staring at me and thinking things about me. i feel persecuted and like my neighbors are listening to me when i am talking outloud. i think people are going to come into my apartment to try and make my electric things start a fire and i am constantantly checking my door to make sure noone can get in to hurt me or put bugs in my apt. i dont know what other meds i can take. can you please help me???
Asked On : Tue, 26 Mar 2013
Answers:  7 Views:  182
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Hi Lis ,

Welcome to HCM Forum ,

After going through your history I can understand how frustrated you might be feeling. Having insight regarding schizophrenia and seeking help is appreciable.

Schizophrenia with OCD is one of challenging illness in psychiatry and difficult to treat.More the duration between start of illness and start of treatment , More difficult to control it.Irregularity in drug intake also make its difficult to treat one.

Its important here to know what is improvement in illness means to you.This is such kind of illness where you needs to continue treatment and follow up for prolonged time.Here , Stage where you are now - there are only chances of symptomatic improvement and not complete cure.

Treatment will improve your distress regarding compulsion of checking - decrease number of checking,decrease the fearful feeling and will decrease voices of neighbors.Here treatment means not to completely stop your problem rather to minimize it - So continue to follow up regularly with any one psychiatrist you feel comfort for prolonged time.I can assure you that he will definitely - significantly reduce your problem though not completely alleviate.

Hope this helps to you.

Best regards.
Answered: Thu, 25 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi's  Response
Dec 2014
Welcome to HCM

The symptoms you have mentioned as paranoid ideation, feeling scary, ideas of reference, prosecution delusions etc are definitely due to some psychotic illness and most likely due to Schizophrenia. In patients of schizophrenia OCD is a co morbid illness. They develop symptoms of OCD also. As you have mentioned that you have tried a lot of medicines but no response was there. It may be due to ineffective selection of drugs, insufficient doses, or also due to poor compliance to treatment by you. Medicines of schizophrenia should be taken for long time. In resistant cases some medicines like combination of typical and atypical antipsychotic may be used. Or medicine like Clozapine can be taken for schizophrenia poor response. It is a nice and very effective medicine. Please visit your psychiatrist for further details.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi
Answered: Tue, 26 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Sundar Gnanavel's  Response
Thanks for your query. The symptoms you are describing are referred to as referential ideation and delusion of persecution. They are classical symptoms of schizophrenia and other psychotic illnesses. The treatment is primarily by medication referred to as antipsychotics.
Antipsychotics include first generation/typicals like haloperidol and second generation/atypicals like olanzapine with varied side-effects though atypicals are generally preferred nowadays. I would suggest you consult a psychiatrist for a thorough evaluation so that a suitable antipsychotic drug can be initiated as early as possible. Wish you good health.
Dr Sundar
Answered: Tue, 26 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Sundar Gnanavel's  Response
Thanks for your query. The symptoms you describe are referred to as referential or persecutory ideation. They are pointers towards psychotic disorders like schizophrenia.
I would suggest you undergo a thorough psychiatric evaluation so that suitable antipsychotics like olanzapine can be started. Drug compliance and regular follow up are considered important for successful symptom control. Wish you good health.
Dr Sundar
Answered: Sat, 13 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Srinivasa S.R.R.Y.'s  Response
Thanks for Health Care Magic

The symptoms described by you are characteristic of Schizophrenia. The possible reasons for nonresponse could be inadequate dosage of medication, poor medication compliance, treatment resistance. There are several medications for schizophrenia which can be tried. Clozapine is useful for patients with treatment non-response. OCD symptoms can sometimes occur as a part of schizophrenia itself or as a co-morbidity. They can be treated with anti-obsessional drugs.
Consult a good psychiatrist and be under regular followup. Sometimes injectable long acting depo medications are prescribed whiich need to be taken once in 15 days to one month.
Hope this helps you
Thanks and regards
Answered: Fri, 10 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Nehal Shah's  Response
thanks for using healthcare magic.
i have gone through your available history.
Non improvement in your case may be due to following
1) Lack of compliance for regular dose
2) inadequate dose of anti psychotic drug
3) truly Resistance Schizophrenia.
You should consult Qualified Psychiatrist for detailed evaluation and management after finding reason of non-improvement.
You may be benefited by drugs like trifluoperazine or haloperidol or amisulipride.
In resistant case, Sessions of electroconvulsive Therapy or deep Brain stimulation may be of some help.
Answered: Thu, 18 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

You have not stated your age, gender, personal habits, family history or co-morbidities
The best option will be to get admitted to the hospital
Once stabilised, you will need supervision and social support.
Regular follow up is a must

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Thu, 18 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor