Have non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Spread to bone marrow and spleen. Can this be known by a blood test or ultrasound?

My Mum had non hodgkins lymphoma and was in remission last year. She was stage 3 but this progressed to stage 4 in April where she was diagnosed terminal and sadly passed away on July 12th. In April she was told it had spread to her bone marrow and spleen , can they tell this by a simple blood test or should they have done an ultrasound on her spleen area in April instead of late June when told she only had weeks to live.
Asked On : Wed, 15 Aug 2012