Have nausea and feeling short of oxygen. Am a smoker. Cause?

I ve had a number of intermittent episodes since last August where I get a combination of minor nausea / light headed feeling and sensation of being short of oxygen/passing out (though that has never happened). This generally happens early morning while in the sitting position and worse it pretty much only happens when I m driving. This lasts for a few seconds, goes away and may return in five to ten minutes. Once on the job or moving (upright position) it s as if there was nothing wrong. I am a smoker, cutting back, intend to quit, I cough up small amounts of clear to milky flem on occasion. the only other thing I believe may be related is upper back problems I ve been seeing a chiropractor about (pinched nerves that may affect the respiratory system?). Other than I should quit smoking for all other good reasons, any Idea what may be causing this? Additional info,55 year old male relatively good health, Hike Snow ski, physically active construction contractor.
Asked On : Tue, 12 Mar 2013