Have minor skin irritation, patches on chest, minor eczema. On cortisone cream. Help?

Hi I am a male 61 - and have had a minor skin irritation in a couple of patches on my chest for a couple of weeks - I occasionally get minor eczema - nothing unusual - and with treatment of off the shelf cortisone cream usually goes away.
ON Thursday morning the it had developed across the front top chest area area, very inflamed and starting to weep, and extremely irritating - starting taking antihistamine and went to doctor - Dr said have skin infection, prescribed penicillin ( 4 per day) and also take chlorphemamine - It is now Saturday , and the area is constantly weeping , no major improvement . Question - does it take this long for the drugs to work and how should you manage the weeping ,which is soaking through clothing
Asked On : Tue, 23 Apr 2013