Have leaky heart valve, enlarged heart. Swollen feet and ankles. Is open heart surgery dangerous?

My mother (86 years old) was just diagnosed with a very leaky heart valve . There is another valve that is not yet leaking, but is an upcoming problem. She was told today that her her heart is slighly enlarged, and they are suggesting open heart surgery. She is in good health, good blood pressure and no cholesteral issues, although she is very fragile and has is now lost about 4 inches height, and is quite stooped in posture . The only symptoms that she has had are swollen feet and ankles, which is now under control. We were also told that the procedures is more dangerous due to her age. What are your thoughts?
Asked On : Sun, 2 Sep 2012