Have hard painful lump on back. Has white head and is red. Home remedy?

I have a hard painful lump on the upper area of my back near my shoulder . It s slightly smaller than a quarter but has grown in size since yesterday when I noticed it. The lump and surrounding area is reddened and tender when touched or brushed by clothing. It has a very tiny white head . It feels movable and like its under the skin. What could this be? A boil? I have an appointment with a doctor but could this be taken care of at home? It s beginning to feel itchy.
Asked On : Fri, 8 Mar 2013