Have had a sore throat. Treated with steroid. Why is neck stiff? What is wrong with thyroid?

I have had a sore throat for almost 4 weeks now, but it has been terrible the last few days. I have been treated with two antibiotics and a steriod , but nothing has helped. My neck is stiff and my tongue is swollen and my throat is terribly sore. I have been to the doctor 3 times, but they dont seem to know what is going on. The most recent course of action was to stop taking my Synthroid ...the doctor thinks maybe something is going on with my Thyroid. I am waiting for test results. My glands are huge. Could this be Mono?
Asked On : Thu, 27 Sep 2012