Have grown intelligent with age, was an average scorer in school. Is there a possibility of fluctuation in intelligence?

Hi there. I m not exactly sure if a real doctor will answer this- let alone the fact it will be answered. I have a world of questions to ask... but I guess I ll ask this one, well maybe two. Is it possible for an individual s intelligence to fluctuate? When I was younger it appeared that I was simply average, IQ wise... in my family it was just an unspoken truth that I was the least intelligent. But as I got older, around 17 I began paying attention more in school and trying more and found that I achieved top marks. Not just slightly above average but far exceeding that of my peers. In most classes I had the highest mark. It led me to wonder whether I became smarter with age? I don t know, is this possible? And if so, is it possible for me to become less smart? They say the brain is like a muscle and it needs to be used but I ve also heard that no one can actually alter their natural intelligence? Thanks! --Branden
Asked On : Wed, 18 Jul 2012
I believe you're hard on yourself! There are so many aspects of intelligence and nobody can be perfect. You're right... it's not a strictly medical question, it's more like one for a psychology expert. But I can give you a direction.
I'll start with some examples.
Some people can be very good at interacting with others in social gatherings but may be the worst students.
Others can be great students but can experience trouble when socializing.
Some have great talent in sports, others can't even run without stumbling.
All of them can get better with practice. You've seen it in yourself. Trying hard got you better marks. You probably can't really alter you natural intelligence but you can get better results with trial and experience. Use a step-by-step approach to achieve more and more. Getting the best marks proves you've got potential!
Best of luck in your endeavors.