Have dry cough, throat irritation, aggravates on sleeping, given monolev, sampraz L no relief. Cause?

i am suffering from dry cough and throat irritation for 3 months. My physician says there is nothing wrong with my throat or tonsils and has prescribed Monolev and sampraz L medicines. what can be the cause for this problem. ano relief even after taking the medicine for 3 days (once a day) The problem is aggravated while sleeping and I am getting throat pain too. Pl advise.
Asked On : Thu, 18 Apr 2013
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The most common causes for persistent cough are : post nasal drip, gastroesophageal reflux disease and cough variant asthma.

A postnasal drip may also in some persons, be associated with other symptoms such as nasal congestion, sneezing.
Gastroesophageal reflux disease may be associated with a burning sensation in the chest, bloating and an acid taste in the mouth.

You are presently on medication to treat gastroesophageal reflux, if the dose is not at the optimal level, your doctor can consider increasing it.
In addition you may want to consider the use of a nasal spray and oral antihistamine, these will treat post nasal drip if present.

If you use medication to treat the both of these with no response, then you may want to consider the use of an inhalor to determine if it is related to asthma.

I hope this helps

ENT Specialist Dr. Abhishek Sharma's  Response
There are many reasons for throat irritation .
Nasal discharge dripping down the throat.
Working in dusty envionments.
Eating spicy hot oily food.
Getting recurrent tonsillar infections.

If your doctor has given medicines for infection and reflux do continue them for the prescribed duration as it takes time for inflammation to settle down.
Keep head end of bed elevated.
Avoid alcohol, Smoking
Do brisk walking daily
Go for walk after dinner
Avoid spicy food     
Avoid late night coffee

Consult your ENT specialist after completion of your treatment as examination is required to see that inflammation has decreased and mucosa / skin in throat is healthy.
Get well soon.