Have diabetes. Pain in right side. Swollen left side. Can the pain be relieved?

Hi Doc My mom is a diabetes patient. We just recently found out. Her age is around 45-48 yrs. Unfortunately, i am not aware which type diabetes it is and the doctor also did not mention it to us. She anyway is having medicines and the diet required. My question to you is, she always has some pain on the left side of her body. As per her, this pain is ALWAYS there and never goes. sometimes tolerable, and sometimes severe. When she mentioned this to the doctor, she said its a part and parcel of the disease and that its normal. But is there any way she can get rid of this pain? Also, at times the left hand side of her body swells up. Please advice. Thanks
Asked On : Thu, 6 Dec 2012