Have depression. Consequences of leaving depression untreated for long?

I am struggling with depression , and have been for many, many years, but more so the past 4 years. It is so severe that I beieve I may have clinical depression. I do not have health insurance, so I m not able to seek the advice or consultation of a medical professional. I just want to know what the consequences are of leaving depression untreated for so long? For example, will my mental health continue to deteriorate? Will it ever get better on it s own, without the use of antidepressants? I really appreciate any feedback. Thank you.
Asked On : Sun, 5 Aug 2012