Have craving for pencil erasers after pregnancy. Causes?

I occasionally crave pencil erasers. This began with my first pregnancy and has continued for the past 15 years. I don t crave them every day, and will sometimes go months without even thinking about one, then all of a sudden I have a huge craving. Similarly, if I inhale (as in one deep breath, not continuous) rubbing alcohol or suck on shaved ice, that will decrease the cravings. My question is: what can cause this and are there any actual side effects?
Asked On : Mon, 10 Sep 2012
Psychologist 's  Response
Dec 2015
Welcome to HCM
We understand your concerns

I went through your problem descriptions. I suggest you should not worry too much and find out why this is happening. Our body craves for some mineral when it is not available for continuously for some time. Body needs so many minerals and metals. People chew on pencil tips for lead, eat mud for iron, drink kerosene etc.

These are common.First you should consult a physician and try to find out what is deficient in your body and you both together find a treatment plan. But I assure there is nothing to worry.

Hope this clears your doubts. Available for further clarifications.
Good luck.