Have bartholin gland abscess. Infection reduced after taking medicine. Why the gland is itchy?

Hi there. this is the first time i have interacted with an online doctor . I was just discharged from my local hospital last night, I was waiting for emergency surgery on a bartholin gland abscess . However, I was on antibiotics for an unrelated infection (in my nail bed) and it seemed to help reduce the infectoin in the gland and the surgery was not performed. My question is why is the gland so ITCHY? Is it due to infection still present in the area? The gyno extended the Rx for antibiotics so I m wondering if the extended Rx could completely clear up the infection in the gland.
Asked On : Thu, 31 Jan 2013