Have a scab around belly button after piercing it. Treatment?

Hi about 5 months i got my bellybutton piercing it was fine for like a week and then it looked as if it was too tight because it was creating it to have like a bloody rim around the top nob its 5 months later and now has like a dark purplish buble thing that looks like a scab its inconvenient to look at its not normal and ots not the crusties , i know what the crusties look like and its not it. my belly button isnt pussing at all , and its not rejecting because i have had my belly button pierced before and it rejected . I dont know how to fix this inconvient scab . help me?
Asked On : Sat, 1 Dec 2012
Infectious Diseases Specialist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM.
I am suspecting a keloid or hypertrophic scar at the piercing site. This occurs due to increased fibrous tissue in the scar. Usually there are no symptoms. But they cause cosmetic concern as they look ugly. Treatment options are available to cause shrinking of the scar by injections into the scar, or local application of steroid and vitamin E cream over the scar. I suggest you get in touch with a dermatologist to explore those options. Thanks.