Has regression in speech, eats tiles on floor, bites chalky walls. What is wrong?

"my 3yrs 9 months sister has regression in speech,when she first started speaking she made a really good progress she used to say alot of words but then suddenly she stopped and then after a while she said some new words but stopped saying some of the old words.she doesn't form sentences yet either.she hummes the rhythms of some songs quite well. previously , when she used to be angry she used to bang her head and pull her hair and bite but now these symptoms have cooled down tremendously except for the biting.dr. there re also some weird things she does , she eats tiny stones from the loose tiles on the floor and literally bites into our chalky wall , there's 1 more th she is still not potty trained cause whenever u leave her without diapers her fingers are always itching and if she finds a pen or pencil she might hurt herself down there so my mom didnt potty train her and actually ties her pants so she doesnt take them off and hurt herself.She spins and jumps however in a fun playful way, she's really a loving sister , she smiles and laughs and hugs people and quite recently started looking at me whenever i call her name. dr. do u think my sis is normal or do u think she is somehow autistic. help please"
Asked On : Tue, 9 Apr 2013

Thank you for your query.

I appreciate your concerns as an elder brother and also marvel at your observations. By the description provided by you it is not possible to comment wether your sister is normal or autistic. We would like to know more about her:
1. Deatils of her developmental milestones.
2. Details of her physical growth.
3. Family and social history.
4. Birth history.
5. Any investigations done.
I suggest that you discuss with your parents and get your sister examined so that we can know more details about her and your concerns are addressed.

As regards your sister eating stones, chalky walls, we need to see if her nutrition is sufficient and she is not anaemic. The other reason for such a behaviour (pica) can be handled by a care taker.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your sister all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
OBGYN Dr. Richa Agarwal's  Response
your sister is having worm infestation.she is having calcium deficiency give her calcium and deworm her.she is not autistic,she is a normal child.Itching is because of worm infestation.she is eating chalk because of calcium deficiency.please do these two thing then let me know the result.toilet training start after some time.
take care