Has CHF. Heart pumps much lesser. Why is he yelling and screaming a lot?

I don t know what to do and need help. My fiancee has chf which has gotten worse. His heart is pumping less then 15% now. This last hospitalization change him in a very negative way. He cries alot which he maybe did once in a blue moon. His moods are severe. He yells for everything. One minute he s laughing, making jokes and then all of a sudden nothing I do is right and he s screaming at me. He s mad at the whole world. One minute he tells me how much he loves me and couldn t picture life without me. We are inseparable and do everything together including work, then the next minute he wants to leave me. I am so confused, the doctor said it s his condition (he s only 44 yrs old) and that I need to be strong. It s becoming so bad though that my blood pressure has gone to the extreme and it s giving me anxiety . I never know what day I m going to wake up and have to walk on eggshells.
Asked On : Fri, 11 May 2012
Cardiologist 's  Response
Dear patient,

Sorry to hear that. It is indeed advanced heart failure, and he may be exhibiting signs and symptoms of a mood disorder such as depression or bipolar disorder Type 2 as part of his overwhelming process. It would not be unreasonable for him to be seen by Psychiatry or Psychology; to avoid a defensive response, it can be explained to him (as it truly is) that sometimes, the chemicals of the brain get imbalanced and if so, medication can help regulate that.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN