Hard red pimple behind left ear after ear piercing. What should I do ?

hi. my 9month old baby had her ear piercing done 2 months ago.she had no infections. yesterday i noticed a hard red pimple looking bo behide her left ear. i took of the earring and found out that her earflap i very hard and has like a ball inside.the size is approximately like a poppy seed. ahat can it be and what should i do?
Asked On : Wed, 20 Feb 2013
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
hello and welcome to HCM,

Your baby seems to be suffering from an infection due to the ear ring which may or may not be related to the ear piercing. Sometimes the infected area becomes fibrosed and becomes hard which is probably what you are feeling.

If there is still pain then you need to remove the ear ring and initiate an antibiotic treatment along with anti inflammatory medications.

Also see whether the ear ring is clean or not

once the swelling completely subsides only then you should re-apply the ear ring

take care

Dr Sriram Nathan