Had tibial plateau fracture. Having severe pain around knee. Knee replacement?

I had a tibial plateu frature 2001. I had the hardware removed two years later (also had to have a tear repaired at that time). I have hurt through the years, but lately I am in sever pain all the way around my knee. especially in the back of my knee. I have a lot of poping in my knee. My doctor is saying I need a knee replacement. I am 47 years old. I have had regular x-rays but no MRI becaus I don't have insurance. I cannot work, some days I cannot even walk without cruches. What should I do? I wake up 10 to 15 times a night with terrible pain in my knee.
Asked On : Sat, 30 Mar 2013