Had seizures. Now stressed. Can I take medicines after a boost? Will I be fine?

i am 45 yr old male, in my life i had seizure complaint in two occasions. the first one was 25yrs back when i felt no rest for consecutive days and second one 2 yrs back when undergone treatment in a hospital for too much official work stress/ tension i am taking medicine eption 100mg- 2 tablets/day in night for last 2yrs, recently as per doctor advise i was undergone mediical test for completing 1 yr but the result was not satisfactory infact the level gone doubt is this may becos of alcohol comsumption once in while and medicine will be taken after reaching home from party with in the time gap 1/2 hr - 1 hr the question is it correct to take medicine after full boost becos doctor advised not to stop medicine even for single day? 2.why the result was not in favour since i am rare case of seizure complaint? 3. now i stopped consuming alhohol for last 6 months and medicine is continued. Will it be helful for next test? 4.give best suggestion.
Asked On : Mon, 25 Jun 2012
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your symptoms. You have a mild seizure disorder, as you have had only two episodes of seizures in the past 25 years.

I do not understand by "the test result was not satisfactory". Please explain what was the test and what was its result? Please upload it here.

As far as I am concerned, you are seizure-free for two years while on eptoin (phenytoin), so, it is a good news.

I agree that alcohol is not good, so, it is better not to re-start it. Also, keep yourself tension-free and get adequate sleep at night to prevent any recurrence of seizures.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: