Had lump on back that grew back. What could the fluid be? Why is it sore?

I had a lump on my back that grew about the size of a nickel. It took a year to reach that size and then it stopped growing. I saw a doctor and she said it was nothing to worry about and dismissed it. After a few months with no change it started rapidly growing again and became tender. One day after a shower it realle hurt. I rubbed it gently and found a white paste-like substance on my finger . It was not pus like from a pimple , it was much thicker - almost like bread dough. I started squeezing it and lots of that came out. Eventually it was empty and quite sore. Now it has all but disappeared. What was this and should I be worried? Is it going to come back?
Asked On : Thu, 2 Aug 2012

Thanks for writing here.

Information provided by you classically supports the diagnosis of sebaceous cyst.It is quite common in routine practice.

At times it gets inflamed and becomes red and swollen as in your case.

Ideally such cysts should be removed by surgical methods.Removal of capsule is must and it prevents recurrence.

As you have drained material at home there may be a chance of relapse of cyst.

It will be better to consult doctor next time when cyst reappears.

Hope this will help you.Take care.