Had cryptogenic stroke, MRI showed increased T2 signal in subcortical white matter. What is ischemic gliosis?

I suffered a cryptogenic stroke about 18 months ago. After experiencing familiar symptoms on one side, I went to the ER. The MRI was normal with the exception of a few very small areas of increased T2 signal in the subcortical white matter . The reports goes on to say this could be benign or represent areas of ischemic gliosis . I am trying to understand what the ischemic gliosis might mean.
Asked On : Thu, 11 Oct 2012