Had back surgery done. Having pain in back shoulder. MRI clear. How to get relief?

I have been having pain in my left back shoulder region for about 8 years. Dr says it is a stress knot but I think something else is going on. I can reach my left back shoulder with my right hand and feel a knot that moves around. It is becoming more painful everyday. Anyone have any suggestions or experiencing anything like this? I am seeing my family doctor again today and will be insisting we do something. I do want to add that I have had an MRI and nothing shows in that area, I had back surgery last February for a ruptured disc but this has been going on for years.
Asked On : Thu, 7 Feb 2013