Had back injury previously. Currently having arthritis. Pain, increased loss of mobility. Related to injury?

Hi, I have a question regarding arthritis and back injuries. In 1996 I injured my back in a fall...i was sent for rehab by workers compensation and it was deemed i could not return to my previous employment and they retrained me. I had NO previous back pain , but have had increasing back pain ever since, to the point of giving up anything that became to painful (hockey, basketball, hiking..etc) I recently had another injury and WCB is saying that my back pain has nothing to do with my injury s..old or new, that it is an arthritis issue that was apparent in initial exams back in 1996. My question is can an injury exacerbate athritis? I had zero pain before my injury and pain everyday since on an increasing bases and even developed a limp from trying to not have my back hurt when I walk (which led to a hip replacement ) WCB says there is no correlation between the two...but I KNOW i had zero pain or difficulty moving before...and pain and increased loss of mobility everyday since.
Asked On : Sun, 24 Mar 2013