Had aortic Valve replacement. Not regained consciousness. Responds to pain stimuli, pupils respond to light. Cause for unconsciousness?

My dad had an Aortic Valve replacement on Friday 02/01/13 it has been 5 days since the surgery and he is still unresponsive to commands and has not regained consciousness. He responds to pain stimuli, and the pupils respond to light. He had a head ct and the results were negative. The medical staff has taken him off propofol and he is currently on 50 mics of fentanyl for pain management . What is the probable cause of him not regaining consciouness?
Asked On : Sat, 9 Feb 2013