Had accident, cracking feeling in neck and shoulders, x-ray shows degenerative disease. What is causing this?

I was involved in a low impact rear end accident with a semi tractor/trailer with 2 vehicles loaded on the trailer. There was minor rear bumper damage to my vehicle. Since the accident I have been having treatment for whiplash. I have a popping/cracking feeling in my neck and shoulders since the accident. They did an xray and my doctor tells me I have degenerative disc disease , which I never knew until she told me. What could be causing the popping/cracking. It has been 3 months since the accident. What could be making the popping/cracking and is it something that might cause future medical problems in my neck/shoulder area?
Asked On : Tue, 13 Mar 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Thanks for your query
The cause of popping/cracking may be the early arthritis as told by your doctor as degenerative disease. It can be present normally and it has nothing to do with your future health prospects .For a healthy living take balanced diet and regular whole body exercises.
Take care and wishing you good health