Had abcess on skin. Drained. Put ribbon gasa and medisport tape. Antiseptic solution to clean the wound?

Hi Doctor :
I would like to get your advice or a second opinion in my case:
I have an absess on my skin and the doctor opened it to drain it because it was not getting yellow, they put me a ribbon gasa in the opening and more gasa on top , then some medisport tape to keep it on its place.
Now they asked my husband to change it every other day until they come back , but we were told not to use any antiseptic to clean the wound .The doctor is on vacations and I will see him in one week but I'm concearned if we are doing the right thing. I never had that before. How long does it takes to heal?
I hope this site is for real because it's hard to find answers from doctors , but I thank you in advance for your time and for beeing there for us . God Bless you.
Asked On : Fri, 5 Apr 2013
Dentist 's  Response
Depending on the depth of abscess,the wound will heal gradually.
Dressing the wound has to be done regularly.
Take antibiotics like amoxycillin to relieve the underlying infection.