Had a root canal treatment and ended up putting a temporary filling with some medicine. Worried? What could be done?

Hi ,

One of my tooth had a root canal treatment done week-two ago , however my personal dentist could not finish the whole treatment (cleaning the nerve etc) as when he was trying to touch it it was too painful for me so he ended up putting a temporary filling with some medicine .

Today during my lunch I felt like the nerve has 'eaten' half of the medicine my dentist has put in that tooth , living me with a quiet a weird feeling & when I'm biting carefully it feels/reacts weaker than other ones..

is that normal?should I be really worried? or just wait until the next appointment which is on at next Wednesday? and I'll ask him to finish it off or do something with it then?

Please help me , as this tooth and the pain I went through made me realize that all of my tooth's are really important!
Asked On : Sat, 27 Apr 2013
Dentist 's  Response
Thanks for writing in.
The pain is due to the infected pulp remaining within the pulp canal.
I would suggest you to take antibiotics-analgesics prescribed by your dentist.
If pain is unbearable,please do visit your dentist and get the infected pulp removed completely.
Meanwhile maintain good oral hygiene.
The pain will end once the treatment has completed successfully.
Rinse mouth after every meals.
Dentist Dr. Sushma Rajesh's  Response

I understand that you went for a root canal treatment procedure. I presume that the dentist has put some devitalizing agent [ temporary filling] . There is nothing to worry. Your tooth will definitely feel weaker as it is losing its vitality. Again nothing to worry about, it is a normal and routine procedure. I would advise you to not to eat anything hard from that side.

You can continue with the prescribed medication and wait till next appointment.
Take care and let me know if you have any more doubts.

Dr.Sushma Rajesh

Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
Hello there ,

Thanks for writing your query,

Root canal procedure disinfects the tooth by removing the infected nerve tissue and the root canals are cleaned,shaped and filled with permanent restorative material.

your dentist has placed a root canal medicament in the access cavity probably with aloose temporary filling till the infection subsides.

This indicates the treatment is not completed , once the canals are cleaned and the tooth is devitalised you will be free from symptoms pf pain and sensitivity permanently.

Once the treatment is completed , the tooth can be restored by a post and core preparation with a prosthetic crown coverage.

i hope this helps ,

take care.
Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

Root canal treatment is done only when the infection travels and reaches the pulp tissue.

Here the whole infected tissue is well explored from all the canals and then disinfected.further it is aseptically filled with obturating material.

This is the complete procedure of root canal.

if it is gone wrong or left unattended it can cause pain and infection.

For this, you will have to revisit your dentist as soon as possible because pain killers only will not solve the problem completely.

Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

According to your clinical history i suppose that your dentist has placed an analgesic medicament in the cotton upon which a temporay filling was placed.
This temporay filling is weaker than the other ones, if it comes out dont worry.
If you have appointment on wednesday you can go on wednesday itsef till then you maintain a good oral hygiene, avoid food lodgement there, take antiseptic mouthwash rinses and a complete course of antibiotic and analgesic.

Hope this helps out.