Had a Traumatic brain injury, removed Tracheotomy, developed strong cough and itching. Is it side effects of Tracheotomy?

I had a serious accident two years ago which involved traumatic brain injury , many injuries and my treatment required a tracheostomy for over 5 months. After removing tracheostomy tube I started having very strong cough and my throat is constantly itching. I was hoping that this condition will disappear after few months but it continues for over two years. The coughing and itching is very strong and it became stronger during the last few weeks. I would like to find out if this could be the side effect of the tracheostomy and what are available treatments. Also, what test I should perform to learn what causes the coughing and strong etching. I will be very grateful for any suggestions
Asked On : Sun, 17 Feb 2013