Had Copper IUD, ultrasound shows IUD in place. Having delayed periods. Possibility of pregnancy with IUD?

Hello doctor, I have a copper iud inserted in the middle of my cycle on the 3rd of October. I bled for 5 days after insertion,and the flow of the bleeding was medium. after a week on the 12 th of October, I got what was supposed to be my period for 5 days, but it was very light and brown to black in color, and at the end of 5th day I got a normal looking period which was red and a medium to heavy flow for another 5 days. Upon the last of my period, I checked for my strings, but I didn t find them and refrained from having sex until I went to my doctor and she did an ultrasound and reassured me that the IUD was in place. Regarding not feeling my strings, she said that it is ok not to feel it alot of women don t, and told me to come in every 3 months to check on the IUD, and told me it is safe to have sex. I was supposed to get my period on 9th of novemeber, but It didn t come until now. 5 days after the missed period I did a home pregnancy test and it was negative. Can u please explain why my period is 10 days late? It strange because before the IUD I had regular periods. And is it possible that I could get pregnant on the copper IUD? Your reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Yasmeen
Asked On : Thu, 22 Nov 2012
Answers:  0 Views:  11 Awaiting Answer