Grazed skin after falling from scooter. Put mercurochrome on all grazes. Foot swollen. Serious?

HI, i come off my sons scooter a few days ago and have a few grazes on my knee and the top of my foot . The worst one is at the bottom of my big toe on top of my foot. It looks like I have grazed all the layers of skin off and practically down to the bone with a diameter of 2cm x 2cm. I have put mercurochrome on all the grazes. I have noticed when sitting in a chair for a period of time that my foot swells, should this be normal?
Asked On : Wed, 27 Feb 2013