Getting sharp pain under chest. Feels like someone sticking a neddle in heart. Should I be concerned?

I am getting sharp pains in my upper chest to the left. These pains come and go now and again. The last time I had them was app 2months ago. When I have them they can be quiet sharp especially when I take a deep breath . I am a 38 year old female with no heart diagnosis in the family. They feel like someone is sticking a neddle in my heart. They usually go away the next day. Should I be concerned?
Asked On : Thu, 17 May 2012
not all chest pain eminates from the heart but you are right to be concerned. cardiac pain is usually associated with other symptoms such as breathlessness and cold sweats. you are very young to have a significant cardiac issue. chest pains of this nature can be due to inflammation or a viral infection that affects the costal cartilages in the front of the chest. these symptoms may be helped by antiinflammatory medication. I would however encourage you to be see and assessed by your family doctor before assuming his is the diagnosis.