Frequently passing stools and urine. Family history of Chron's disease. What should we do?

Hello my mother in law has just been diagnosed with Chron s today and im very worried about my Husband (28) and my Son (2) My Husband go go to the toilet for a number 2 up to 8 times a day depending on how much he has to eat, and for a number 1.. well just ridicilous ammount of times. He wakes during the night to go too. My son has only ever had 1 hard stool in 2 years and goes up to 4 times a day (depending sometimes more) What do we need to do?? Ive mentioned my Son s frequent pooing but she just say s some people are like that.. Please can you help?
Asked On : Sun, 14 Oct 2012
Gastroenterologist 's  Response
Yay I understood the prob ,but u need to detail me abt the history more specifically ,k anyway if the frequent passing of stools is associated with pain nd if it is relieved with defeacation nd if history is of more then 6 mths thn it is nthing but irritable bowel syndrome ,but we need to rule out other causes like celiac or any small bowel pathology ,if these things turn out to be normal thn its IBS ,for tht tab rifagut 550 mg bid for 2 weeks ,tab IBSCIM 2 weeks 1 tab bid,tab tryptomer 25 mg night for 3 mths diet modification may help ,nd if he is having bleeding per rectum shud go for colonoscopy to rule out causes like IBD I.e inflammatory bowel disease ....and abt ur son better to go nd consult a paediatrician or a gastroentrologist....thank u