Frequent feeling of food or drink getting caught in my airway. Is this a sign of an illness? Safe remedy?

I have this frequent feeling of food or drink getting caught in my airway after I eat or drink. It causes me to cough, and sometimes some mucous comes up, but most of the time the cough is dry and it still feels like something is in my airway. It is extremely frustrating and I find myself compulsively trying to clear my throat to no avail. Occassionally I seem to succeed in clearing it but the disturbing part is that most of the time I cannot. This has been going on for a year or more. My doctor had me do a barium swallow and detected nothing unusual. In terms of my background the only related factors I can think of are that I was exposed to alot of second hand smoke growing up and I live in a city with quite heavy air pollution.
Asked On : Tue, 2 Apr 2013